Location and Handling
• Do not stand this unit up vertically. Install this unit in a horizontal
and stable position. Do not place anything directly on top of this
unit. Do not place this unit directly on top of the TV.
• Depending on the TV, noise or disturbance of the picture and/or
sound may be generated if this unit is placed too close to your TV. In
this case, please ensure enough space between your TV and this unit.
• Do not cover or place this unit in enclosed spaces to prevent
excessive temperature build up.
• Do not place this unit in direct sunlight, or near heat sources.
• Depending on the environment, the temperature of this unit may
increase slightly. This is not a malfunction.
• Keep this unit away from strong magnetic objects.
• Do not place any object containing water or other liquids on this
unit. In the event that liquid should enter the cabinet, unplug this
unit immediately and contact the retailer or an authorized service
• Do not remove this unit cabinet. Touching parts inside the cabinet
could result in electric shock and/or damage to this unit. For service
and adjustment inside the cabinet, call a qualified dealer or an
authorized service center.
• Be sure to remove disc and cassette tape and unplug the AC power
cord from the output before carrying this unit.
Avoid the Hazards of Electrical Shock and Fire
• Do not handle the power cord with wet hands.
• Do not pull on the power cord when disconnecting it from AC
outlet. Grasp it by the plug.
• If, by accident, water is spilled on this unit, unplug the power cord
immediately and take the unit to our authorized service center for
• Do not put your fingers or objects into the unit cassette holder.
Moisture Condensation Warning
Moisture may form inside this unit under the following conditions:
• Immediately after a heater is turned on.
• In a steamy or humid room.
• When this unit is suddenly moved from a cold to warm environment.
If moisture forms inside this unit, it may not operate properly or
damage the cassette tape. In such case, do not use this unit at least for
2 hours until its inside gets dry.
Unauthorized copying, broadcasting, public performance and lending
of discs are prohibited.
This product incorporates copyright protection technology that
is protected by U.S. patents and other intellectual property rights.
Use of this copyright protection technology must be authorized by
Macrovision, and is intended for home and other limited viewing uses
only unless otherwise authorized by Macrovision. Reverse engineering
or disassembly is prohibited.
Notice for Progressive Scan Outputs
Consumers should note that not all high definition television sets
are fully compatible with this product and may cause artifacts to
be displayed in the picture. In case of picture problems with 525
progressive scan output, it is recommended that the user switch the
connection to the ‘standard definition’ output. If there are questions
regarding your TV set compatibility with this 525p DVD player, please
contact our customer service center.
Symbols Used in This Manual
The following symbols appear in some headings in this manual.
: Description refers to video cassette tapes.
Description refers to DVD-video.
: Description refers to audio CD.
Note to CATV system installer:
• This reminder is provided to call the CATV system installer’s attention to
Article 820-40 of the NEC that provides guidelines for proper grounding
and, in particular, specifies that the cable ground should be connected
to the grounding system of the building, as close to the point of cable
entry as practical.
• Remember to read the instructions along with the video head cleaner
• Clean video heads only when problems occur.
• Please refer to relevant topics on the “Troubleshooting Guide” on
page 23 before returning the product.
• If this unit becomes inoperative, do not try to correct the problem
by yourself. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Turn off,
unplug the power plug, and please call our toll free customer
support line found on the cover of this manual to locate an
authorized service center.
Cleaning the Cabinet
• Use a soft cloth slightly moistened with a mild detergent solution.
Do not use a solution containing alcohol, spirits, ammonia or
• When a disc becomes dirty, clean it with a cleaning cloth. Wipe the
disc from the center to out. Do not wipe in a circular motion.
• Do not use solvents such as benzine, thinner, commercially available
cleaners, detergent, abrasive cleaning agents or antistatic spray
intended for analog records.
Cleaning the Disc Lens
• If this unit continues to perform improperly even after you have
referred to the relevant sections and to the “Troubleshooting Guide”
in this manual, the laser optical pickup unit may be dirty. Consult
your dealer or an authorized service center for inspection and
cleaning of the laser optical pickup unit.
• When you handle a disc, hold it by its edge and try not to touch the
surface of the disc.
• Always store the disc in its protective case when not in use.
Auto Head Cleaning
• Automatically cleans video heads as you insert or remove a cassette
tape, so you can see a clear picture.
• Playback picture may become blurred or interrupted while the TV
program reception is clear. Dirt accumulated on the video heads
after a long period of use, or the usage of rental or worn cassette
tapes can cause this problem. If a streaky or snowy picture appears
during playback, the video heads in your unit may need to be
1. Please visit your local audio/video store and purchase a good
quality VHS video head cleaner.
If a Video head cleaner does not solve the problem, please call our
toll free customer support line found on the cover of this manual to
locate an authorized service center.
Manufactured under license from
Dolby Laboratories. Dolby and the
double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby
© 2008 Funai Electric Co., Ltd.
All rights reserved. No part of this manual may be reproduced, copied,
transmitted, disseminated, transcribed, downloaded or stored in
any storage medium, in any form or for any purpose without the
express prior written consent of Funai. Furthermore, any unauthorized
commercial distribution of this manual or any revision hereto is strictly
Information in this document is subject to change without notice.
Funai reserves the right to change the content herein without the
obligation to notify any person or organization of such changes.
with the design is a registered trademark of Funai
Electric Co., Ltd and may not be used in any way without the express
written consent of Funai. All other trademarks used herein remain
the exclusive property of their respective owners. Nothing contained
in this manual should be construed as granting, by implication or
otherwise, any license or right to use any of the trademarks displayed
herein. Misuse of any trademarks or any other content in this manual
is strictly prohibited. Funai shall aggressively enforce its intellectual
property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
E8E62UD-DV225MG9.indd 4E8E62UD-DV225MG9.indd 4 2008/02/04 17:47:092008/02/04 17:47:09